StartOut Growth Lab is a startup accelerator that offers top quality mentoring, education, and networking opportunities for young companies that happen to be founded or co-founded by LGBTQ+ entrepreneurs. The Lab was founded in 2017 and is run by StartOut, the largest nonprofit organization for LGBTQ+ entrepreneurs, in partnership with DLA Piper, JP Morgan, Capital Connect by JP Morgan, and Comcast NBCUniversal.
Since our founding, the 56 graduated companies have raised $763M+ in funding and created over 3,650+ new jobs. Those numbers are a testament to the quality of entrepreneurs we accept and the extent of the resources we offer to them. We are making a real impact promoting diversity within startup communities across the nation.
StartOut Growth Lab ("SGL") hosts a new virtual cohort of early-stage companies every six months. The next cohort will start in early 2023. Up to 10 companies are selected for each cohort. Think your company has what it takes?
WHAT WE OFFER:
- A virtual community of LGBTQ+ founders who support and motivate one another.
- Mentoring from our entrepreneur-in-residence and direct access to StartOut Experts.
- Free legal consultations from DLA Piper.
- Monthly digital lunch & learns with guest experts covering a broad range of topics presented by founders, experienced professionals, and investors.
- Founders only “Lonely at the Top” meetings to discuss founder issues in a small, supportive and safe space.
- A graduation event at the end of your term to celebrate your successes with the StartOut community.
WHAT WE EXPECT FROM YOU:
- A commitment from your company’s founder(s) to participate in the full 6-month program while working full time on your startup company.
- A spirit of collaboration, volunteerism, and joy in giving back to your peers and others who contribute to your success.
- Agreement to take turns organizing our monthly group social events.
- Mandatory attendance at monthly Lunch & Learn events.
- Long hours and hard work to make the most of your tenure at SGL.
Applications for Cohort 11 Are Now Closed
In order to apply to join StartOut Growth Lab (SGL), please fill out – or update – your founder application on StartOut online community portal. Once you submit your founder application, you will be redirected to a dedicated page with additional questions specific to StartOut Growth Lab.
APPLICATIONS FOR COHORT 12 WILL OPEN SPRING 2023
WHAT MAKES US DIFFERENT? SGL’s primary difference from most startup incubators is its explicit focus on supporting founders from the LGBTQ community. However, there is no requirement that the business target the LGBTQ community nor that its other founders or employees be LGBTQ. Our small size means each company gets lots of personal attention from our mentors, guest experts, and each other. We can promise you a work environment where everybody shares a deep commitment to diversity, community, and integrity. We expect you to share ideas, participate in events, and contribute to the success of your cohort. And if you do achieve a successful exit, we hope you’ll give back with a tax-deductible donation to StartOut in the form of a 1% founder pledge.
- Dan Smith & Sidd Gavirneni, CoFounders Zeguro