StartOut Growth Lab is a startup accelerator that offers top quality office space, mentoring, education, and networking opportunities for young companies that happen to be founded or co-founded by LGBTQ entrepreneurs. The Lab was founded in 2017 as a partnership between Nixon Peabody LLP, a full-service nationwide law firm, and StartOut, the largest nonprofit organization for LGBTQ entrepreneurs.
StartOut Growth Lab ("SGL") hosts a new cohort of early-stage companies every six months starting in January and July of each year. Up to just seven companies are selected for each cohort. Think your company has what it takes?
Since our founding, the 20 graduated companies have raised $23M in funding and created 95 new jobs. Those numbers are a testament to the quality of entrepreneurs we accept and the extent of the resources we offer to them. We are making a real impact promoting diversity within startup communities across the nation.
WHAT WE OFFER:
- Space in a premium, newly-built office suite with a conference room, coffee area, fully furnished workspaces, storage, and blazing fast Internet.
- A premier downtown address on the 32nd floor of a flagship office building that enhances your company’s image to potential business partners, customers, and new hires.
- A community of likeminded founders who support and motivate one another.
- Mentoring from our entrepreneur-in-residence and direct access to StartOut Experts.
- Free legal consultations from Nixon Peabody lawyers.
- Monthly lunch & learns with guest experts covering a broad range of topics presented by founders, experienced professionals, and investors.
- Founders only dinners hosted by investors, industry experts, and experienced entrepreneurs from the StartOut community.
- A graduation event at the end of your term to celebrate your successes with the StartOut community.
WHAT WE EXPECT FROM YOU:
- A commitment to relocate your company’s founders to the SGL office at One Embarcadero Center in San Francisco.
- A spirit of collaboration, volunteerism, and joy in giving back to your peers and others who contribute to your success.
- Agreement to take turns organizing our monthly group social events.
- Mandatory attendance at monthly Lunch & Learn events.
- Long hours and hard work to make the most of your tenure at SGL.
Applications for the Fall 2019 Cohort are now Closed
Decisions will be announced by May 31, and the Fall Cohort move-in date will be August 12, 2019.
WHAT MAKES US DIFFERENT?
SGL’s primary difference from most startup incubators is its explicit focus on supporting founders from the LGBTQ community. However, there is no requirement that the business target the LGBTQ community nor that its other founders or employees be LGBTQ.
Our small size means each company gets lots of personal attention from our mentors, guest experts, and each other. We can promise you a work environment where everybody shares a deep commitment to diversity, community, and integrity.
Accepted companies pay a one-time fee of $750 to cover utilities and incidentals for their 6-month term. We expect you to help out with chores, share ideas, participate in events, and contribute to the success of your cohort. And if you do achieve a successful exit, we hope you’ll give back with a tax-deductible donation to StartOut in the form of a 1% founder pledge.
- Dan Smith & Sidd Gavirneni, CoFounders Zeguro